عرض مشاركة واحدة
قديم 04-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #996 (permalink)

sdfVFh

عضو جديد

sdfVFh على طريق التميز

افتراضي monsterbeat

James Ashby sexual harassment case against former Speaker Peter Slipper thrown out of court

Federal Court judge Steven Rares on Wednesday dismissed a sexual harassment case brought against Mr Slipper by staffer James Hunter Ashby, saying the purpose of the case had been to "pursue a political attack against Mr Slipper''.

But Mr Ashby's lawyer has rejected a judge's criticism that politics played a part in the conduct of his client's sexual harassment case against Mr Slipper.

"I have always maintained that Mr Ashby's application was about manipulating the justice system to inflict damage on my reputation and political career and to advance the interests of the Liberal National Party," Mr Slipper said.

"In his judgment, Justice Rares said he had reached the firm conclusion that Mr Ashby's predominant purpose for bringing these proceedings was to pursue a political attack against me.

"I feel vindicated by today's judgment."

Mr Slipper said the past eight months had been "extremely traumatic" for his family.

"I thank my wife, family, staff and friends for their support during this extraordinarily difficult time," he said.

Judge Steven Rares this morning ordered that the application contains "scandalous" allegations Sms Audio Street By 50 and to continue the case would be "manifestly unfair" to Mr Slipper and that some of the claims were done to "injure" his reputation.

The former Speaker wanted the case, which was launched by Mr Ashby on April 20 this year, thrown out of court, saying it was an abuse of process designed to be "prejudicial" and "damaging" to him.

Mr Slipper did not have a lawyer represent him at a two-day 50 Cent Headphones hearing of the case in October but didn't come to the Federal Court in Sydney to hear this morning's decision.

It followed an unsuccessful day of mediation talks between the pair.

Mr Ashby has been ordered to pay Mr Slipper's legal cost.

Mr Slipper told the court in October that his former media advisor was 50 Cent Headphones trying to destroy his marriage and and bring down the government.

"I've been incredibly distraught as a result of these proceedings," Mr Slipper said.

Mr Ashby, who arrived at court today flanked by his spokesman Anthony McClellan, settled his case against the Commonwealth in September for $50,000 and a promise to introduce an education program for staff about sexual harassment in the workplace.

Hundreds of texts messages between the pair were tendered to the court earlier this year and Mr Ashby said he feared assassination after making the claims against his former boss public.

"Mr Ashby's predominant purpose in bringing the proceedings was not a proper one," Judge Rares said.

"A party cannot be allowed to misuse the court's process by including scandalous and damaging allegations.

"I have reached the conclusion that Mr Ashby's predominant purpose for bringing these proceedings was to pursue a political attack against Mr Slipper."

"I am satisfied that these proceedings are an abuse of the process of the court," Judge Rares said.

"The originating application was used by Mr Ashby for the predominant purpose of causing significant public, reputational and political damage to Mr Slipper."

sdfVFh غير متواجد حالياً   رد مع اقتباس